2 Results Found
COSPPac and the National Meteorological Services of Vanuatu, Samoa, Niue and Solomon Islands have documented existing traditional knowledge used for seasonal weather forecasting. The Traditional Knowledge database provides partner countries with a central register to manage and store their climate-related traditional knowledge records. In the future the collected traditional data can be integrated with conventional seasonal forecasts. The traditional knowledge collected can also be used as a tool for communicating climate messages to local communities.
For more information on the Traditional Knowledge project and to discuss access to the database, please contact the Capacity Development and Communications team by emailing COSPPac_CDC_TKProject@bom.gov.au
Sub Seasonal and Seasonal Forecasting
The sub-seasonal to seasonal timescale provides a unique opportunity to capitalise on the expertise of the weather and climate research communities, and to bring them together to improve predictions on a timescale of particular relevance to the Global Framework for Climate Services (World Meteorological Organisation, 2012).
- Based on Climate Forecast System (CFSv2) data product, ground observations, and remote sensing
- Translate into broad use of the resulting information in decision-making
- Risk based seasonal climate forecasting technologies
- Link with endusers’ needs and interests, while considering the broader contexts and practical constraints of everyday lives
- Customizable local interpretation and report
Critical climate variables updated every ten days from the latest CFSv2 downscaled model outputs:
- Precipitation anomalies
- Temperature anomalies
- Potential evapotranspiration deficit anomalies
- Wind anomalies
- Other variables available upon request.
Updated Every Ten Days
The team at ExtendWeather ingests global data that is generated four times every day. Every ten days there are 40 global runs that we then process to generate a ten day update of our forecast maps. That means there is an ensemble of 40 model runs we draw upon and then downscale using proprietary methods to generate the high quality five kilometre resolution maps we supply.