Did you know that we our Meteorological and Hydrological Services across the Pacific islands work together to consistently improve their services? Working with the Pacific Meteorological Desk Partnership, your Met Service is part of a regional coordinated response to meet weather and climate services development in the Pacific Islands region.
The goal and objectives of the Pacific Meteorological Desk Partnership is to improve regional coordination and advancing and sustaining the delivery of weather, climate and related services for the protection of life and property of Pacific island communities. Other core objectives are:
- coordination of Pacific island national and regional priority needs with regard to weather and climate services development,
- joint planning and design of technical projects and programmes for delivery by technical agencies to build on complementation and replication of efforts,
- governance relationship through Pacific Meteorological Council and implementation guidance through use of Pacific Strategic Action Plan for Meteorology 2012 – 2015.
There are two core components to the PMDP - the Apia Secretariat Component made up of the Apia-based Secretariats of SPREP and the World Meteorological Organisation (WMO) working together, and the Partners Component, the collective of technical expert institutions that will form the key technical expertise that will be delivered to build the capacity of the national Met Services from across the Pacific.
Guidance for development of the Pacific Meteorological Services is provided in the following guiding documents:
- The Pacific Meteorological Strategy 2017-2026
- The Pacific Roadmap for Strengthened Climate Services 2017-2026
- The Nuku'alofa Ministerial Declaration for Sustainable Weather and Climate Services for a Resilient Pacific, 2015
- The Honiara Ministerial Statement for Sustainable Weather, Climate, Water and Ocean Services for a Resilient Pacific, 2017
Visit your Pacific Met Desk Partnership to learn more about the projects underway in the Pacific, implemented in partnership, to enhance our regional Met Services: https://www.pacificmet.net/